Basilica di San Lorenzo Maggiore

BASILICA DI SAN LORENZO MAGGIORE

The Basilica of San Lorenzo Maggiore is located in Via dei Tribunali and is one of the oldest basilicas in the city, a testimony to the revival of the city under the Angevins. The basilica is a mixture of Gothic French and Franciscan style: French architects dedicated themselves to the creation of the apse, the only example in Italy, while moving towards the aisles is closer to the Italian style, a sign that in the course of later developments, the construction Of the church was entrusted to local designers.

Over the centuries the structure has undergone numerous renovations, also due to earthquakes that hit the area. In addition, from the sixteenth century Baroque-style works were added to cover the original appearance: the floor was covered with bricks, the columns decorated with stucco, the arches and the Gothic windows were resized and the frescoes whitewashed.

From 1882 to the 20th century, the numerous restorations have eliminated these additions, with the exception of the fa├žade and counter-facade, by Ferdinando Sanfelice, the Cacace chapel and the chaplain of Sant’Antonio by Cosimo Fanzago.

The tower, square and four-storey, has been the scene of many historical events. In 1547 the cloister was used as a weapon by the Spanish Viceroys. In 1547, the bell tower was besieged by the people during the uprising against Pedro de Toledo, and in 1647 the Masaniello followers used it as an artillery outpost against the Spaniards.

MUSEUM OF OPERA

The Museum of the Opera of San Lorenzo Maggiore is a museum center located inside the convent of San Lorenzo Maggiore of Naples.

The museum offers a visit to some of the monasteries of the convent of San Lorenzo, such as the capitular hall, the Sisto V hall and the monumental cloister. Also in other environments are the various historical testimonies of the 700s and 1800s belonging to the collections of the convent itself (dresses, paintings, furnishings, Neapolitan crib etc etc).

ARCHAEOLOGICAL EXCAVATIONS

The area below the monastery sees the Greek-Roman archaeological excavations dating back to the second half of the 1st century, when in the Piazza San Gaetano once stood the Greek agora before, and the Roman forum then. While on the side of the Basilica of San Paolo Maggiore the underground reveal the remains of the amphitheater, those on the side of San Lorenzo point out the area destined for the macellum, where it was then the city market in Roman times, whose shops also show In the existing structures of Greek structures dating back to the 4th century BC.